Friday, November 4, 2016

Orchids on Your Budget Christmas Series #8...Cake Batter Fudge....

 
According to Marjorie Hillis who penned Orchids on Your Budget way back in the 1930s, 'things must be very awful indeed if you can't afford to at least gift a little something at Christmas'.
 
I tend to agree with Marjorie on that one, and for the last couple of years, I've used her thoughts, and my imagination, to bring you gift ideas that cost little, but reap rewards in terms of satisfaction for you as the giver, and for your friends and family, as recipients. You can see those posts here, here, here, and here.
 
My ideas have ranged from home made candles in vintage sugar bowls, to reimagined thrifted lingerie, which I've rescued and brought to life with embroidery. There's pesto, and onion confit too if you're more the foodie gift type. And many other inexpensive and extremely do-able ideas, like sweet little customised teabags, all available for your viewing at the top of my page under the headings 'All Things Homespun' and 'Beautiful Celebrations and DIY Gifts'.
 
I've had a frantic week this week, so I haven't made as much progress on my upcycling projects as I would have liked, but I did have a Special Persons Day to attend at my Granddaughters Kindegarten, which required me to, in Grand Aussie Tradition, Bring-a-Plate. This idea means that each of us is blessed with the responsibility of conjuring something that satisfies many food allergy restrictions, but is still worthy of 4 and 5 year old tastebuds.
 
Well, as my week was indeed busy, all I had on hand was a gluten free chocolate cake mix and some Sprinkles, left over from the previous weeks birthday cake making marathon.
 
 
A quick Google, and I discovered this recipe here.
 
Cake Batter Fudge? With Sprinkles? Worth a try!
 
Well, I'd whipped a batch of that stuff up quicker than you can say Sticky Fingers, and I can tell you, it's pretty darned good!
 
The fudge you love, but with an interesting flavour, not quite fudge brownie. But a flavour somewhere in between that and fudge, and totally more-ish!
 
No oven required, minimal ingredients, ready to eat in 15 minutes. What are you waiting for?
 
Here's the recipe, adapted slightly....
 
Cake Batter Fudge
 
1 packet cake mix (I used Gluten Free Chocolate Cake)
2 cups icing sugar (also known as powdered sugar)
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1/2-1 cup chocolate chips or melting buds (I used white because I had them on hand)
1/4-1/2 cup sprinkles
 
Prepare a 20cmx20cm (8 inch x 8 inch) cake tin, lining it with baking paper, and allowing an overhang as seen below.
 
Mix the cake mix and the icing sugar together in a microwave safe container.
 
Add the butter, milk, and chocolate chips or chocolate buds, no need to stir, and microwave on HIGH for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 60 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir well to combine.
 
Add half of your sprinkles, and stir well.
 
Tip the lot into your prepared pan, and cover the top with the remaining sprinkles, pressing them into the surface to embed them.
 
Chill for 15-30 minutes and cut into neat squares to serve.
 
 
And as a gift, well, my preferred packaging is yet to be decided. Um....mainly coz there's no fudge left to package. Whoops! That stuff disappeared in the blink of an eye!
 
I'll be preparing another batch in the next day or two...with packaging. I promise.
 
Go! Make Fudge!
 
Five Star Frou-Frou is a Never ending linkup, and you can find it here. I share a favourite blog post from the linkup, each time I post.
 
Todays feature is...
 
Jes, from Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth, who shared this charming and thoughtful post on Frugal Living. I know you'll love it..
 
http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com.au/2016/08/a-shabby-chic-frugal-farm-lifestyle.html
 
 
...Mimi...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mimi, sorry to be a pain, but I loved your story about the chi plate fudge cake, but can't find your link when I clicked on where it was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the feature Mimi! It is much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candy is always a good idea! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very good! I am definitively going to make this!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx